We oversee all land use ordinances and provide guidance for property development in Transylvania County, excluding the City of Brevard and its Extra Territorial Jurisdiction (with the exception of farmers in the ETJ). Administration of county ordinances includes reviewing subdivisions and exemptions; flood plain management; and issuing permits required by ordinances.
Additionally, we provide guidance, personnel and administrative support to the following appointed county boards:
- Transylvania County Planning Board
- Drafts and presents ordinances to the Board of Commissioners
- Develops the county's 2025 Comprehensive Plan
- Transylvania County Board of Zoning Adjustment
- Reviews ordinance variances
- Joint Historic Preservation Commission (JHPC)
- Reviews and recommends historic structures for local and national designations
- Educates the public on value of historic preservation
- Transportation Advisory Committee (TAC)
- Reviews current road conditions and NC DOT projects
- Participates in comprehensive transportation planning
- Encourage community involvement at TAC meetings
We empower our community to shape its future by facilitating the engagement of our citizens and public sector groups for the purpose of creating a more functional society and improving our own social, economic and environmental situation.