The Joint Historic Preservation Commission (JHPC) is made up of nine members appointed by the County Commissioners and meets at 4:00pm on the second Tuesday of each month in the Community Services Building's First Floor Conference Room.
The JHPC reviews applications for Local Historic Landmark Designations, which are buildings, sites, structures or objects that have historic significance - either culturally or architecturally. Currently, there are 21 properties in Transylvania County that hold this prestigious designation as a local historic landmark. The State of NC has Guidelines for Rehabilitating Historic Buildings that local designations must follow and the JHPC administers a Certificate of Appropriateness Application.
Other agencies that also preserve our cultural heritage include:
- Transylvania County Historical Society
- Transylvania Heritage Museum
- Transylvania County Designations on the National Historic Registry (or map)
- Explore Transylvania County heritage - Blue Ridge National Heritage Area
Here's a showcase of the local historic treasures we've helped preserve over the years.
1 - Rosenwald School / Morris Education Center
400 Rosenwald Lane, Brevard
Around 1923, a school for African American children was built near the intersection of West Main Street and Rosenwald Lane. Money for the school came from the Rosenwald Fund, which helped finance schools for black children in fifteen Southern states from the late 1910'2 until 1932. On March 12, 1941, the Rosenwald School was destroyed by fire, and for seven years thereafter, students attended makeshift classrooms in several local churches. The present building was constructed in 1948 and accommodated students in grades 1-8 with six classrooms, a cafeteria, an office, indoor plumbing and fluorescent lighting. After eighth grade, students had to travel to Hendersonville to continue their education until the Transylvania County schools were integrated in 1966.
2 - BREVARD COLLEGE STONE FENCE & GATE
400 - 600 North Broad Street
The stone fence and gate comprise the earliest structure erected specifically for Brevard College that survives to the present. Stone was gathered from the Davidson River in the Pisgah National Forest for stonemasons Fred Mills and the Wright Brothers, to construct in 1937. This section of remaining stone fence once was part of the athletic field.
3 - INN AT BREVARD
401 East Main Street, Brevard
The original 2 1/3 acre lot was originally contiguous to the Franklin Hotel property and was part of an exclusive development known as Franklin Park. Soon after purchasing in 1901 for $1,000, Martha Woodbridge built the neo-classical revival structure which she shared with her daughter, Rebekah, and son-in-law, William E Breese, Jr., who was a man of public affairs in the community.
4 - Hemlock Hill / Max and Claire Brombacher House
571 East Main Street, Brevard
This most unusual of Brevard's stone houses was built as a summer home around 1940. The stonemasons were Brevard's noted Wright brothers who started the house in their typical style, but Mrs. Brombacher made them tear it down and start over again, declaring that she wanted the house to "look like it grew here" with no mortar showing and no square corners. The result was an Adirondack-type structure where the dark, jagged-edged stones appear to be randomly, vertically stacked without visible mortar.
5 - GODFREY-BARNETTE HOUSE / linden tree manor
411 South Broad Street
Erected around 1918, this two and one-half story house is the second oldest stone house in Brevard. Local tradition relates that students at Brevard High School helped gather stone for the construction of the house that was built for popular teacher, Mrs. Jennie E. Godfrey. This house was built by the time the Wrights moved to Brevard to ply their trade and the stonemason(s) remain unknown.
6 - MORROW STONE COTTAGE
563 East Main Street, Brevard
The design of this cottage was first published by Gustav Stickley in the June 1909 issue of The Craftsman magazine. The stone was procured from the remains of the old Hume Hotel, located in the Dunns Rock vicinity, which burned during the Civil War. The Hume Hotel was the earliest known stone buildings in Transylvania County, and it is significant that its materials were reused for the oldest surviving stone house in the county.
7 - Charles Orr House
334 East Main Street, Brevard
Charles Edmond Moore, the original owner of this 1926 English Manorial Revival house, was postmaster of Brevard. The gray granite used came from William Breese's Cove Mill quarry. The Wright brothers may have been the stone mason's for this house.
8 - Chestnut Hill, Hanckel-Barclay House
400 Barclay Road, Rural Transylvania County
This impressive country home built between 1856 and 1860 was that of the Reverend James Stuart Hanckel. It sits atop a hill overlooking the French Broad River Valley.
9 - Allison-deavor house(RFP for Restoration)
2753 Asheville Highway, Brevard
Listed in the National Register of Historic Places, the William Deavor House, circa 1815, is one of the oldest surviving houses in Transylvania County and is a significant example of a substantial Western North Carolina farm dwelling from the second quarter of the nineteenth century. In 1987, the Transylvania Historical Society obtained the property and it is open for visitors May 7, 2016 through October 16th, Saturdays 1-4, Sundays 1-4 and by special appointment.
10 - surrette Lankford house
1109 Old Hendersonville Highway, Rural Transylvania County
This 1835 frame farmhouse built by David Surrette is the third oldest standing frame house in Transylvania County.
11 - Partridge Hill
261 Everette Road, Rural Transylvania County
This Queen Anne style white frame house was built in 1901 by one of the Patton families. Hamilton Basso, author of "The View From Pompey's Head" lived here in the 1930's and was often visited by Thomas Wolfe.
12 - Former Presbyterian Church Manse
116 West Probart Street, Brevard
This 1916 Craftsman style dwelling served as the Presbyterian Church Manse from 1916-1937. The architect was Asheville's Richard Sharp Smith.
13 - Exchange Building
33 West Probart Street, Brevard
This structure, in the National Register Main Street Historic District, was built in 1952 to house automated telephone switching equipment allowing residents to have a phone number for the first time.
14 - Red House
266 West Probart Street, Brevard
This was built in 1851 as a trading post for Leander Sams Gash, a prominent landowner and one of the City of Brevard's founders. With the Civil War, trade with Charleston nearly ceased and the trading post served as the Moore Hotel starting in 1861 and later a boarding house to serve low country visitors. In 1896, the building was rented to the Fitch Taylors who used it as a mission school known as the Epworth Institute, the forerunner of the Brevard Institute (later Brevard College). After the institute moved to the site of the present Brevard College, the Red House continued to function as a private school run by a Miss Stancil. In 1912, the house was remodeled as two apartments. Now known as the Red House Inn, is functions as a bed-and-breakfast.
15 - Grogan House
24 Warren Lane, Brevard
This 1890 pre-railroad frame dwelling with Victorian Style decorative details is listed on the National Register of Historic Homes. It is typical of the late 19th century French Broad Valley farmhouses and was part of an active 80 acre farm from 1890-1941.
16 - Chapman House
431 East Main Street, Brevard
This Craftsman style bungalow was built in 1917 as the retirement home for Chalmers Durand Chapman, the rector of St. Philip's Episcopal Church from 1896 to 1917. Chapman's wife, Frances Eugenia, was the first president of the Brevard Betterment Association and was instrumental in establishing the first Parent-Teacher Association in Transylvania County.
17 - Cleveland-Kizer House
538 East Main Street, Brevard
Built in 1915, this was home to Alec Kizer who was the county accountant during the 1920's and exemplifies a group of houses built in and around Brevard that are distinguished by their pebbledash walls and contrasting brick corners.
18 - Henry House
148 West Probart Street, Brevard
This 1904 Craftsman style dwelling was designed by Asheville architect, Richard Sharp Smith and built by R. P. Kilpatrick.
19 - The Lodge
450 Cedar Lane, Cedar Mountain Vicinity
This structure was built in the 1920's or 1930's by Ted Snyder who was a self-taught contractor who designed and built many of the summer homes around Cedar Mountain when the textile mills in South Carolina began establishing camps for their employees.
20 - McGaha Chapel
8225 Greenville Highway, Rural Transylvania County
Crafford McGaha built this chapel in 1872 and he operated a free way station for travelers passing through Cedar Mountain on their was between Brevard and Greenville. The property was conveyed by A. J. Loftis and his wife to the trustees of the Methodist Episcopal Church and was turned over to the Transylvania Historical Society in 2007. Although there is no active congregation, vesper services are held during the summer. This pristine chapel remains essentially as it was in 1872 and can be viewed by appointment with the historical society.
21 - gALLOWAY RADFORD HOUSE
33 Deacon Lane, Brevard
Built by Thomas C. and Mary Belle Galloway between 1905 and 1910, the house is an excellent example of late-Victorian/Queen Anne form with Colonial Revival detailing, typical of early twentieth century houses in the Brevard area. After Thomas C. Galloway’s death, his wife Mary Belle and her new husband Samuel Radford, lived in the house and kept boarders. After Mr. Samuel Radford’s death the house was sold to Mr. Henry, the Town Manager of Brevard at the time.
MAIN STREET NATIONAL HISTORIC DISTRICT
Courtesy of the Rowell Bosse North Carolina Room, Transylvania County Library.
Added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2002, the district is located in the center of Brevard and covers approximately thirteen acres including three blocks of Main Street and one block on each of South Broad, Jordan, North Caldwell and Probart Streets, plus buildings in the Times Arcade Alley.
The oldest building is the Transylvania County Courthouse which was completed in 1881. The jail behind the courthouse was constructed in 1921. The McMinn Building, located across Broad Street from the courthouse, is the oldest commercial building in the district. Built in 1889, the McMinn Building was the first brick commercial building in Brevard and set the tone for the style of building in the downtown business district. Both of these buildings are also individually listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The majority of the other buildings were constructed prior to the Depression and range from one to three stories with most being brick bond or stucco.
The summary and inventory of the properties in the Main Street Historic District, along with photographs from the 1991 architectural survey are available in the Local History Room of the Transylvania County Library.
East Main Street national Historic District
Courtesy of the Rowell Bosse North Carolina Room, Transylvania County Library.
The East Main St. Historic District represents historical, architectural and cultural importance to the city of Brevard. The district, encompassing East Main from Rice St. to Wilson Dr., was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2009. It reflects the economic growth and prosperity of Brevard following the arrival of the railroad in 1895.
As Brevard developed at the turn of the 20th century East Main Street stretched beyond downtown into an area with an upscale hotel and large modern homes. The street was wide and lined with old trees making the area very desirable. Several of the residences also served as boarding houses for summer visitors.
Contributing properties within the district include private homes and accompanying outbuildings plus Brevard-Davidson River Presbyterian Church, St. Philip’s Episcopal Church, King-Old Town Cemetery, The Inn at Brevard, and Silvermont.
The Lankford-Cleveland House on North Rice St. is the oldest of the structures in the district. The original part of the home was constructed around 1858 by B.C. Lankford. Lankford was a community leader and early official for both Transylvania County and the Town of Brevard. Lankford, L.S. Gash and Alexander England donated 50 acres to establish the town.
John and Mary Cleveland purchased the property in 1913. Although updates and additions, including a carriage house, have been made all date to the first half of the 20th century and the home is a significant property in the East Main St. Historic District.
The most recently constructed homes in the district are the Deyton-Goodwin-Lefler House, built in 1949 and the Kelley-Truesdail House, built in 1950. Both are located on the north side of East Main where it curves down toward Wilson Dr. The Deyton-Goodwin-Lefler house is Colonial Revival in style, while the Kelley-Truesdail house is Minimal Traditional style. Both are constructed of brick and fit well within the wide-ranging mix of late-19th to mid-20th century architectural styles in the neighborhood.
There are six properties within the district that are also individually listed on the National Register of Historic Places. They are the Charles Orr House, The Inn at Brevard (Breese House), St. Philip’s, Silvermont, the Morrow House, and the Brombacher House. In addition The Inn at Brevard, the Orr, Morrow and Brombacher houses, along with the Chapman, Paxton-Kizer and Galloway-Radford houses are all Locally Designated properties.